By Peter Matthiessen, Pico Iyer
An unforgettable non secular trip during the Himalayas through well known author Peter Matthiessen (1927-2014), the nationwide e-book Award-winning writer of the recent novel In Paradise
In 1973, Peter Matthiessen and box biologist George Schaller traveled excessive into the distant mountains of Nepal to review the Himalayan blue sheep and probably glimpse the infrequent and lovely snow leopard. Matthiessen, a pupil of Zen Buddhism, was once additionally on a non secular quest to discover the Lama of Shey on the old shrine on Crystal Mountain. because the climb proceeds, Matthiessen charts his internal direction in addition to his outer one, with a deepening Buddhist realizing of truth, discomfort, impermanence, and wonder. This Penguin Classics version good points an creation by means of acclaimed commute author and novelist Pico Iyer.
Lonely Planet: The world's top trip advisor publisher*
Lonely Planet's The World's most sensible highway Food : the place to discover it & the way to make it! a bit recognized culinary key is that the world's most sensible sandwich is not present in Rome, Copenhagen or maybe ny, yet particularly, at the streets of Vietnam! the road is the place you will find the guts of a delicacies and its tradition - someplace one of the taco carts and noodle stalls, the smell of wooden fires and the hubbub of fellow diners.
Bring the world's maximum highway meals in your domestic with this compendium of vintage recipes!
- 100 actual recipes with uncomplicated, transparent directions for ideal practise
- Glossary of unique parts with easy-to-find choices
- Evocative profiles of every dish exhibit you the place to discover the simplest examples if you find yourself at the highway
- Written by means of meals writers from world wide with an creation through Tom Parker Bowles
Authors: Written and researched by way of Lonely Planet, Tom Parker Bowles, Rob Whyte, Sarina Singh, Amy Karafin, Kate Armstrong, Duncan Garwood, Brett Atkinson, Joshua Samuel Brown, Joe Bindloss, Will Gourlay, Jessica Lee, Tim Richards, Meredith Snyder, Gregor Clark, Abigail gap, Luke Waterson, Penny Watson, Celeste Brash, Zora O'Neill, Ethan Gelber, Bridget Gleeson, Austin Bush, Carolyn B. Heller, Michael Kohn, Roger Norum and Strouchan Martins, Paul Clammer, Daniel Robinson, Sarah Baxter, Emily Matchar
About Lonely Planet: all started in 1973, Lonely Planet has develop into the world's best go back and forth consultant writer with guidebooks to each vacation spot on the earth, in addition to an award-winning web site, a collection of cellular and electronic shuttle items, and a devoted visitor group. Lonely Planet's undertaking is to permit curious visitors to event the realm and to actually get to the guts of the locations the place they travel.
TripAdvisor visitors' selection Awards 2012 and 2013 winner in favourite commute consultant category
'Lonely Planet courses are, effectively, like no other.' - manhattan Times
'Lonely Planet. it really is on everyone's bookshelves; it truly is in each traveller's palms. it truly is on cellphones. it really is on the web. it really is in every single place, and it really is telling complete generations of individuals tips to shuttle the world.' - Fairfax Media (Australia)
*#1 on this planet industry proportion - resource: Nielsen Bookscan. Australia, united kingdom and united states. March 2012-January 2013
By Gabrielle Walker
Antarctica is the main alien position on this planet, the one a part of the earth the place people may well by no means live on unaided. Out of our fascination with it have come many books, such a lot of which specialise in just one element of its designated strangeness. None has controlled to trap the total story—until now.
Drawing on her extensive travels around the continent, in Antarctica Gabrielle Walker weaves all of the major threads of existence at the large ice sheet into an elaborate tapestry, illuminating what it particularly seems like to be there and why it attracts such a lot of other kinds of individuals. along with her we witness state of the art technological know-how experiments, stopover at the South Pole, hotel with American, Italian, and French researchers, force snowdozers, drill ice cores, and hear for the message Antarctica is sending us approximately our destiny in an age of world warming.
This is an exhilarating journey to the farthest reaches of earth by way of the best technological know-how writers operating today.
By Lonely Planet, Simon Richmond, Trent Holden, Megan Eaves
Lonely Planet: The world's top shuttle advisor publisher
Lonely Planet Korea is your passport to the main appropriate, up to date recommendation on what to determine and bypass, and what hidden discoveries anticipate you. stroll alongside Cheong-gye-cheon's long-buried circulation, hike round Jeju-do's volcanic panorama, or bounce right into a vat of dust throughout the Boryeong dust pageant; all together with your depended on shuttle better half. Get to the center of Korea and start your trip now!
Inside Lonely Planet Korea shuttle Guide:
• Colour maps and pictures all through
• Highlights and itineraries assist you tailor your journey on your own wishes and pursuits
• Insider tips to save lots of time and cash and get round like an area, heading off crowds and hassle spots
• Essential info at your fingertips - hours of operation, cell numbers, web pages, transit suggestions, costs
• Honest studies for all budgets - consuming, napping, sight-seeing, going out, procuring, hidden gem stones that almost all guidebooks leave out
• Cultural insights provide you with a richer, extra profitable commute adventure - together with customs, background, artwork, literature, cinema, song, dance, structure, politics, and flora and fauna
• Free, handy pull-out Seoul map (included in print version), plus over ninety seven neighborhood maps
• Covers Seoul, Incheon, Jeju-do, Gyeonggi-do, Gangwon-do, Cheongju, Gyeongsangbuk-do, Sokcho, Samcheok, Chungju, Daejeon, Gongju, Daegu, North Korea, Pyongyang, Panmunjom, the DMZ, and extra
eBook Features: (Best considered on pill units and smartphones)
• Downloadable PDF and offline maps hinder roaming and information fees
• Effortlessly navigate and bounce among maps and studies
• Add notes to personalise your guidebook event
• Seamlessly flip among pages
• Bookmarks and quick search features get you to key pages in a flash
• Embedded links to recommendations' web content
• Zoom-in maps and photographs
• Inbuilt dictionary for fast referencing
The excellent Choice: Lonely Planet Korea, our so much finished consultant to Korea, is ideal for either exploring best attractions and taking roads much less travelled.
• trying to find a consultant excited about Seoul? try out our Lonely Planet Seoul advisor for a complete examine the entire urban has to provide.
Authors: Written and researched via Lonely Planet.
About Lonely Planet: for the reason that 1973, Lonely Planet has develop into the world's major commute media corporation with guidebooks to each vacation spot, an award-winning web site, cellular and electronic go back and forth items, and a devoted visitor neighborhood. Lonely Planet covers must-see spots but in addition allows curious guests to get off overwhelmed paths to appreciate extra of the tradition of the areas during which they locate themselves.
Paul Theroux has spent the previous fifty years roaming the globe, describing his encounters with distant humans and far-flung locations in ten best-selling trip books. Now, for the 1st time, he explores part of America—the Deep South. starting off on a winding highway journey, Theroux discovers a quarter of architectural and creative wonders, incomparable song, mouth-watering cuisine—and additionally a few of the worst colleges, remedy, housing, and unemployment charges within the nation.
but, regardless of the place he is going, Theroux meets the unsung heroes of the South, the folk who, regardless of all of it, by no means left, and in addition those that came across their method domestic and dedicated their lives to rebuilding a spot they can by no means reside without.
“Paul Theroux’s most recent trip memoir had me at hi . . . Theroux pulls no punches in his quest to appreciate this missed margin of yankee life.” — Boston Globe
“A shiny modern portrait of rural lifestyles . . . a deeply affecting own account.” — Atlanta Journal-Constitution
By James O'Reilly, Larry Habegger
By Lonely Planet
Lonely Planet: The world's major trip consultant publisher
Lonely Planet's Pocket Berlin is your passport to the main correct, updated recommendation on what to work out and pass, and what hidden discoveries watch for you. contemplate reunified Germany on the Brandenburg Gate, view town from Reichstag's spectacular glass cupola, or seize a reside tune gig at a riverside seashore bar; all together with your relied on go back and forth significant other. Get to the guts of the easiest of Berlin and start your trip now!
Inside Lonely Planet's Pocket Berlin:
- Full-colour maps and pictures all through
- Highlights and itineraries assist you tailor your journey in your own wishes and pursuits
- Insider tips to save lots of time and cash and get round like a neighborhood, heading off crowds and bother spots
- Essential info at your fingertips - hours of operation, cellphone numbers, web pages, transit counsel, costs
- Honest experiences for all budgets - consuming, dozing, sight-seeing, going out, purchasing, hidden gemstones that almost all guidebooks omit
- Free, handy pull-out Berlin map (included in print version), plus over 20 color neighbourhood maps
- User-friendly layout with beneficial icons, and organised via neighbourhood that will help you decide the simplest spots to spend some time
- Covers Reichstag, Unter den Linden, Museum Island, Alexanderplatz, Potsdamer Platz, Scheunenviertel, Kreuzberg, Friedrichshain, Prenzlauer Berg, Kurfurstendamm, and extra
The ideal Choice: Lonely Planet's Pocket Berlin, a colourful, easy-to-use, and convenient consultant that actually suits on your pocket, presents on-the-go assistance for these looking in basic terms the can't-miss stories to maximise a short journey event.
- Looking for a accomplished consultant that recommends either renowned and offbeat stories, and greatly covers all of Berlin's neighbourhoods? try out Lonely Planet's Berlin consultant.
- Looking for extra large assurance? try out Lonely Planet's Germany advisor for a accomplished examine the entire state has to provide, or Lonely Planet's observe Germany, a photo-rich advisor to the country's most well-liked sights.
Authors: Written and researched by means of Lonely Planet and Andrea Schulte-Peevers.
About Lonely Planet: Since 1973, Lonely Planet has develop into the world's top shuttle media corporation with guidebooks to each vacation spot, an award-winning web site, cellular and electronic shuttle items, and a committed tourist neighborhood. Lonely Planet covers must-see spots but in addition permits curious travelers to get off overwhelmed paths to appreciate extra of the tradition of the locations during which they locate themselves.
By Andrew Hyde
Andrew Hyde spent the final years at the highway touring to fifteen nations with just a backpack of 15 issues to his identify, this ebook is a suite of news as a critique of the realm of recent go back and forth. "More of an anti-guidebook than a selected commute advisor, This publication is ready shuttle will take you places." -Brad Feld - Foundry workforce "Andrew gave up his regimen, comforts and all his possessions - other than his backpack - to dwell a existence that the majority merely dream about." -Kathy Sierra "This ebook is...a portrait of the inquisitiveness of the human spirit, narrated via an target, analytical, self-aware voice." -Natty Zola - Everlater.com
Fodor’s correspondents spotlight the simplest of Utah, together with awe-inspiring nationwide parks from Arches to Zion, amazing ski motels like Deer Valley, and Salt Lake City’s cultural riches. Our neighborhood specialists vet each advice to make sure you utilize a while, even if it’s your first journey or your fifth.
MUST-SEE sights from the good Salt Lake to Sundance
excellent motels for each finances
top eating places to meet a variety of tastes
necessary positive aspects on outdoors adventures and drives
invaluable tips about whilst to move and how you can save
INSIDER viewpoint from neighborhood experts
MAPS AND colour images to steer and encourage your trip
By Ryan Ver Berkmoes, Kevin Raub
“With remarkable tradition, shorelines, actions and climate – let alone the rum – the Caribbean is a joyous revolt of islands supplying the last word escape.” – Ryan Ver Berkmoes, Lonely Planet Writer
The final, such a lot accomplished consultant to traveling in Caribbean Islands contains updated stories of the easiest locations to stick, consume, points of interest, cultural details, maps, shipping information and some most sensible stored secrets and techniques – the entire necessities to get to the center of the Caribbean Islands.
This advisor is the results of over 12-months of analysis through thirteen committed authors and native specialists who immersed themselves within the Caribbean Islands, discovering exact reports, and sharing useful and sincere suggestion, so that you come away knowledgeable and amazed.
Inside Lonely Planet Caribbean Islands:
• complete colour styling and images
• Over a hundred transparent, easy-to-read colour maps
• an excellent new web page structure for quick and simple interpreting whereas at the go
• Itineraries equipped via sector or size of trip
• updated advised points-of-interest – protecting consuming, napping, going out, buying, actions and attractions
• Our most recent journey making plans instruments that can assist you get round smoothly
• extra sections together with most sensible reports, historical past, foodstuff, humans, tradition, Language, and an A-Z survival guide.
Special booklet improvements include:
• Scalable maps and photographs – allowing you to zoom in for better detail
• accomplished interlinking – seamlessly turn among pages, leap among maps and experiences, or stopover at the internet sites of locations we recommend
• seek – pass immediately to what you're looking for with the built in seek capability
• upload notes – contact a observe so as to add notes and customize your guidebook
• Bookmark – use bookmarks to speedy go back to a page
• Dictionary –look up the that means of any word
• Plus pinch and zoom photographs and scalable font size
65 islands covered
13 professional authors
500 days (and nights) of research
874 stunning beaches
Clear, easy-to-use maps
Comprehensive making plans tools
Written and researched by way of Ryan Ver Berkmoes, Adam Karlin, Andrea Schulte-Peevers, Brendan Sainsbury, Kevin Raub, Tom Masters, Jean-Bernard Carillet, Brandon Presser, Paul Clammer, Michael Grosberg, Karla Zimmerman, Emily Matchar, Nate Cavalieri